Monday, February 16, 2009

Talking Point Number 2

In Aria by Richard Rodriguez, he seems at the beginning to be talking about his hatred for learning the English Language in School. And about how much pride he took in speaking Spanish at home with his family. He speaks about how close speaking Spanish at home made his family, how excited they were to go home and speak their language. He then goes into how being forced to speak English both at home and school, drove his family apart.
-"With out question it would have pleased me to hear my teachers address me in Spanish when I entered the classroom."
-" Because I wrongly imagined that English was intrinsically a public language and Spanish an intrinsically private one, I easily noted the difference between classroom language and the language of of home."
--------Both of these quotes helped to realize that children hold something special to their culture, and to take it away from them by force can cause more harm then good. In this case the drive to make him speak English drove his family apart. All he wanted was to be greeted with some Spanish. How different would the situation have been if he was not noted at difficult? Or tried to make a point to learn some of his culture and background before dragging it out of him. Even to hear a simple HOLA RICHARD, how hard would that have been.

1 comment:

  1. Great points here, becca. I can see that Rodriguez made an impact on you. Look over the format for Talking Point as I describe it on the syllabus -- I want you to use it to help you get in a little deeper on the issues.

    ReplyDelete