Monday, March 30, 2009

Talking Point 7

Anita Hill Is A Boy
By: Peggy Orenstein

In the article written by Peggy, she argues for an education system in which gender is treated equally. A system that is not male dominated, by providing classes, such as self defense for females, to help bring equity closer in the school systems.

1" Some educators are developing strategies to break down gender and race hierarchies in cooperative learning groups."
---- This quote is kind of... i don't know, it is hard because not every female learns the same, or acts the same of do anything the same, and the same goes for blacks, Asians, and anybody. How can they be doing a serious study to help benefit students, when in fact it might work in Providence but not in Smithfield. It also depends on the groups that they are learning in it will always be different, so I see this as more of a struggle to try and fix the problem. It would seem it be a time consuming and tedious experiment. Maybe I am looking at the quote all wrong, but.... I don't know

2. "...to challenge both boys' and girls' perspectives on the female self."
----- This quote makes it sound like females are like outcast in the school and people are trying to make others realize that we are not bad, nor do we have cooties. Yes I believe that this country does not give enough credit to women, but I have never thought that it goes back to the classrooms, I have always felt equal with other males in my classes. It might have to do with my personality, but in school I do not feel the gender battle, but I guess it would make sense to teach it in the class to prepare both the males and females for the real world. Educating children will help to prevent, and slowly diminish the inequality.

3. "I mean, as long as they're interesting, what's the difference if they're women? Women are people, too, you know."
-----I agree with this kid, and I feel like this is the view of most people, excluding the sexist people of the world. But I do not look at a class and go O wow lots of males, must be smart and all the females well they are borderline, and yes I am a female, but I highly doubt males do that either.... I think it is a good thing that children can say that thing.

I liked reading the article it was interesting to see what some of the ideas were and how they were implicated into a classroom. Also it was interesting to see the responses of the children to the curricula.

1 comment:

  1. I hear your skepticism... it makes me think of Johnson who said if you live in a rainy climate and you find a way to stay dry, that doesn't mean it isn't raining outside and being wet is something most people have to deal with. DO you see what I am getting at?

    ReplyDelete